For the last year we have been working on creating an image that can be written to an SD card which is then used to boot a Raspberry Pi (RPi). The SD card turns the RPi into:
- an access point for learners to connect to with their computers,
- a web server with all the learning materials
- a Gitea server which acts as a replacement for GitHub to practise the collaborative parts of version control with Git
We have, so far, experienced a few challenges with this solution.
- there seems to be a limit to the number of computers that can connect to the RPi access point
- RPis suddenly became impossible to obtain after Covid lockdown - however, they are available again.
Step-by-step instructions for creating the SD card image